Wednesday, December 22, 2004

It's a wonderful world

There are times in your life when things seem to be going along kind of ho-hum and you think you are OK with everything and you are content. Then WHAM, something hits you that makes you realize that yes, you truly are content. You are filled with warm fuzzies. You feel TRUE peace. Everthing seems beautiful and right with the world.

Those moments tend to be fleeting and inspired by the simpliest of things. I had one of those moments yesterday. Actually, it was two moments. And to think, it came from something as simple as the sunset.

Late in the afternoon I walked past one of the large windows in my office that faces west and saw the lovely pale pinks, purples and blues the setting sun painted on the horizon. I had to stop a moment and drink it in. Just comment to myself on the beauty of it all. That was moment #1.

It was on my way home from work that this sunset, my sense of wonder and feeling of peace intensified.

For most of the drive home, which is directly west, I looked at this absolutely amazing sunset. The colors deepening as the evening wore on. The purples and pinks darkening as the night sky began to take over. Moment #2 happened. It struck me suddenly how beautiful the world truly is and how honored I am to be a part of the universe. I felt at one with everything.

Moments like these are rare and I treasure them. I only wish I'd had a camera to capture the moment. But, I guess that would make it less special. Cheapen the meaning somehow. Maybe it is more special to wait until the next moment, whether it be a sunset or something else, rather than stare at a copy of it.

Hopefully the memories of that beautiful sunset and true peace last until the next special moment. Thank you Mother Nature for a true gift this season.


No comments: