Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I could be an aunt one day?

I spent a nice afternoon with my sister yesterday. A nice one bonding about girl things. Clothes, decorating houses, gardening and motherhood. Whoa! Did I just say that last one? Yes, it's true. My sister and her husband are trying for their first child.

When I think of it, it feels so natural and so bizarre at the same time. It seems natural to be to become an aunt who has a niece or nephew to spoil and a deeper bond with my sister because of it. It seems natural to be someone's aunt, a trusted friend and ally. At the same time it can't be real. My sister is 3 years younger than me and to me she sometimes still is the baby sister who annoyed the hell out of me and wouldn't give back clothes and jewellry she "borrowed". How can she want a baby? She's so young? Then again, I do the math and realize she is the same age I was when I got pregnant with my son. Is that really true? So, I guess it isn't that far fetched after all.

Just call me Aunt Nicole.

No comments: