There are some things where it is fun to be an expert. It’s fun to be the one people come to for advice on making that perfect casserole, planning that perfect dinner party or recommending just the right book. It’s fun to watch people take your advice or recommendations and go with it. I typically like being able to guide people but there is one aspect of life where I don’t want to be an expert.
I don’t want to talk to my coworker about how to deal with her niece and sister-in-law who are facing her niece’s leukemia at only three years old. I don’t want to talk to her about just letting herself cry when she needs to or how to explain to her own three year old about the changes in her cousin’s appearance and why she can’t do some things or play some games with her right now. I don’t want to be a shoulder to cry on. I don’t want to be the one to tell her what she should and shouldn’t say to her sister-in-law. I shouldn’t have to live through this because it isn’t fair. No one should have to deal with this let alone a three year old. I don’t a world where kids suffer.
But I will do it. Because I know she needs it. She needs me and my perspective. We have been in the same shoes. She with her niece, me with Dylan. We’ve both lived through it. I will do it because she is my friend. *tears*
No comments:
Post a Comment